Kaiser Permanente Lead Senior Accountant in Oakland, California
The Lead Senior Accountant is responsible for the proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Kaiser Permanente policies, and internal control standards. Responsibilities include providing operational supervision of the accounting team including training and development. Develops and implements solutions to accounting problems of difficult scope and complexity. Responsible for leading system project initiatives and process improvements across business units. Develops and fosters business partnerships with internal and external customers and vendors.
• Ensures proper and timely recording of financial transactions in the general ledger in accordance with GAAP, Kaiser Permanente policies and internal control standards.
• Ensures that general ledger and sub-ledger are reconciled and reconciling items are resolved.
• Ensures that automated interfaces to the general ledger are functioning as intended.
• Prepares schedules, supporting documents, account reconciliations and variance analyses for management.
• Coordinates, reviews, and approves financial statement variance analysis.
• Identifies and communicates accounting adjustments to management.
• Prepares reports and delivers recommendations for balance sheet and statement reviews.
• May be accountable for the coordination, compilation, and verification of financial reports and analyses.
• Researches technical accounting solutions for new and existing business issues of moderate to difficult scope and complexity.
• Facilitates and coordinates solutions to problems of moderate to difficult scope and complexity with other departments and business units.
• May lead a project team or participate in complex projects.
• Leads work for proper internal controls and SOX requirements and recommends improvements.
• Participates in the development, maintenance and monitoring of policies and procedures.
• Monitors compliance with Kaiser Permanente accounting policies and governmental regulations, including those issued by the Department of Managed Health Care, Department of Insurance, Department of Labor, Internal Revenue Service and Franchise Tax Board.
• Responsible for recruiting, training, coaching, developing and evaluating staff.
• Ensures business continuity through departmental training and cross training.
• Fosters a positive work environment, emphasizing respect for individuals, high standards of quality, innovation, team work and collaboration among business units.
• Identifies and communicates opportunities for change to improve performance.
• Responsible for developing business partnerships with internal and external customers.
• Provides education on the use and interpretation of analyses, reports, methodologies and source data to managers/leaders.
• Acts as departmental contact for auditors.
• Prepares, reviews, and approves interim and year-end audit schedules.
• Utilizes tools such as system queries and download, Excel functions (pivot tables and Vlookup) and Access database.
• Reviews and approves desktop procedures and manuals.
• Facilitates and participates in meetings and presentations.
• This position is in our Physician Services group which primarily administers the physician employee loan programs (loan funding, servicing, collection, and related tax reporting) and ensures accurate recording of loan accounting activities according to US GAAP. Because there are significant tax consequences of the loan programs, this candidate should have the ability to understand and apply the applicable rules to the specific situations as this will be one of their primary responsibilities. This group interacts with senior management, shareholders and other internal stakeholders such as payroll, HR, legal and therefore their effective communication and collaboration are essential for success in this role.
Six (6) + years of related experience in financial analysis, preparing financial reports, statements, projections and budgeting.
Experience researching solutions for moderate to difficult accounting issues.
Experience hiring, managing and developing staff.
Health care or managed care experience, preferred.
Experience in high volume processing centers, preferred.
Bachelor's degree with emphasis in business, finance, or accounting, OR other bachelor's degree with equivalent professional experience in finance or accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) certification or in progress desired.
Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, and accounting procedures.
Knowledge and ability to translate data into accurate financial and management reports.
Aptitude for numbers, organization skills and strong attention to detail.
Flexibility to perform a variety of detailed accounting functions and meet established deadlines.
Ability to integrate data from multiple sources, and determine adequacy for financial reporting requirements for GAAP, Department of Insurance and Department of Managed Health Care.
Ability to build good internal relationships the department organization, across department lines and with external third parties.
Ability to perform moderately complex special projects.
Ability to successfully navigate a matrix organization.
Strong background in internal controls and SOX compliance.
Strong spreadsheet (Excel) and word processing (Word) skills.
Strong analytic and problem solving skills.
Strong communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
TITLE: Lead Senior Accountant
LOCATION: Oakland, California
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.