Sutter Health Post Doctoral Scientist in San Francisco, California
Theis a dynamic group of scientists and clinical investigators focused on biomedical, clinical and translational research. We are the research component of Sutter Health's California Pacific Medical Center, a large multi-campus medical center in San Francisco. Currently we are seeking a self-motivated, innovative and independent scientist to join the laboratory of Dr. Mohammed Kashani-Sabet, whose focus is the identification of novel markers and mediators of the cancer progression, and the development of novel targeted therapies for cancer, with a principal focus on melanoma. To date, our laboratory has assigned pro-metastatic function to several genes in melanoma and other cancers, including NCOA3, BPTF, and PHIP (see references below). Ongoing work is attempting to further develop several of these as therapeutic targets. The successful candidate will work in the Kashani lab and also with other faculty in CPMCRI Precision Medicine Program (termed the Cancer Avatar Project).
This position requires advanced knowledge of rodent (mouse) surgical procedures, and primary mammalian cell culture. In addition, knowledge of cancer genomics and pharmacogenomics are highly desirable. Good working knowledge of cancer biology, biochemistry, molecular and cell biology are required. Previous publications in the field of cancer research are highly desirable. PhD with less than 2 years postdoctoral experience preferred. Supervision will be provided jointly by Dr. Kashani-Sabet and other senior scientists affiliated with the Avatar program. Must be highly collaborative, team-oriented, but also capable of working independently. Strong written/verbal communication skills are required. The position may require occasional weekend and evening duties. Salary is commensurate with experience.
You can learn more about our research projects here:
- De Semir D, Bezrookove V, Nosrati M, Scanlon KR, Singer E, Judkins J, Rieken C, Wu C, Shen J, Schmudermayer C, Dar AA, Miller JR 3rd, Cobbs C, Yount G, Desprez PY, Debs RJ, Salomonis N, McAllister S, Cleaver JE, Soroceanu L, Kashani-Sabet M. PHIP drives glioblastoma motility and invasion by regulating the focal adhesion complex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2020 Apr 21;117(16):9064-9073. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1914505117. Epub 2020 Apr 9.
- De Semir D, Bezrookove V, Nosrati M, Dar AA, Wu C, Shen J, RiekenC, VenkatasubramanianM, Miller JR III, Desprez P-Y, McAllister S, Soroceanu L, Debs RJ, SalomonisN, SchadendorfD, Cleaver JE, Kashani-Sabet M. PHIP as a therapeutic target for driver-negative subtypes of melanoma, breast, and lung cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2018 Jun 4. pii: 201804779. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1804779115. Epub 2018 Jun 4.
- Dar AA, NosratiM, Bezrookove V, de Semir D, Majid S, Thummala S, SunV, Tong S, Leong SPL, Minor D, Billings PR, Soroceanu L, Debs R, Miller JR III, Sagebiel RW, Kashani-Sabet, M. The role of BPTF in melanoma progression and in response to BRAF-targeted therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2015 Feb 23; 107(5). Pii: djv034. Doi:10.1093/jnci/djc034. PMID: 25713167; PMC4555639
- Kashani-Sabet M, Nosrati M, Miller JR III, Sagebiel RW, Leong SPL, Lesniak A, Tong S, Lee SJ, Kirkwood JM. Prospective validation of molecular prognostic markers in cutaneous melanoma: a correlative analysis of E1690. Clin Cancer Res, 2017 Nov 15; 23(22):6888-6892. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-17-1317. Epub 2017 Aug 8.
- At least 1 year of experience working in clinical, translational, and/or epidemiologic research is required.
- Experience in designing research studies is desired.
- Areas of interest: Biological aging, the genetics of aging, and longevity.
- Strong interest and background in clinical research, public health or epidemiological research;
- Familiar with computational and data analysis.
- Familiar with developing publications.
- An interest in data pooling and technological infrastructure used to conduct research studies.
- Can prepare manuscripts for publication.
- Comfortable using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAS and Stata.
- Able to prepare grant applications for career development (i.e. R or K awards).
- Ability to analyze data with the aid of statisticians and programmers produces tables and figures.
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Referral Bonus: No
Position Status: Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.