Lockheed Martin Optical Payload Designer in Sunnyvale, California
Description: Are you passionate about state-of-the-art technology in space exploration? Do you like seeing your work applied to real life applications that travel to space? Then you should consider joining the Lockheed Martin Space Optical Payload Center of Excellence (OPCoE) as a Staff Optical Payload Designer! OPCoE enables new frontiers in visible-light and infrared systems, missile defense, space exploration and much more. Our members bring together authorities across the nation, within Lockheed Martin, our industry partners and leading research universities, into one fast-acting, collaborative group.
As an Optical Payload Designer, your responsibilities will include being the lead optics designer on one or more of OPCoE's critical programs.
You would typically have a Bachelors degree and 9 - 15 years of professional experience, a Masters and 7 - 13 years, or a PhD and 4 - 9 years.
To promote the sharing of ideas, Lockheed Martin fosters an inclusive work environment that encourages differences and big-picture thinking.
Our employees play an active role in strengthening the quality of life where we live and work by volunteering more than 850,000 hours annually. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy:
• Paid time off
• Work/life balance
• Career development
• Mentorship opportunities
• Rewards & recognition
Learn more about Lockheed Martin’s competitive and comprehensive benefits package.
• Background in development of space flight E-O payloads, subsystems, and/or major components
• Experience with optical system design, manufacture, assembly, alignment and test
• Experience with Zemax OpticStudio or equivalent
• Experience developing technical material for presentation to senior leadership
• Experience working with leadership and IPTs
• Experience on development programs
• Active Top Secret clearance or equivalent
• Active SCI Security Clearance
• Familiarity with LM Engineering command media
• Ability/experience to lead small teams, both administrative and technical
• Experience in all phases of product life cycle, including understanding of the Specifications and derived requirements flow down, Payload System architectures, concepts of operations, and interface requirements
• Solid ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment. Technical leadership of both internally provided and sub-contracted hardware teams
• Work with the Integrated Product Team, Certified Principal Engineers, Subcontract Managers and Program Management to coordinate Payload System level impacts as part of your day to day technical participation in the program
• Manage technical content of design reviews at the Payload and component levels and ensure successful closure of all action items and design artifacts
• Support resolution of test failures, hardware anomalies, and provide support to system engineering during critical program achievements
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where your mission is ours. Our customers tackle the hardest missions. Those that demand extraordinary amounts of courage, resilience and precision. They’re dangerous. Critical. Sometimes they even provide an opportunity to change the world and save lives. Those are the missions we care about.
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.